How I discovered Geraldine brooks?
It all started on Christmas. I spent the winter holidays with my boyfriend’s family, and I got from his aunt a book. I read the title: “People of the book” by Geraldine Brooks.
The title wasn’t telling me anything and I recognize that I was a bit reserved in reading it. And then I said that I should try. I admit that I was surprised in a good way.
About the author I can’t say much that it isn’t already on the internet, but I will count some of them that got my attention:
- For writing “The Secret Chord”, published on the 6th of October 2015, she got the inspiration from the story of the biblical character “King David” and from the “Hallelujah” song of Leonard Cohen;
- She has 6 favorite books of historical fiction:
- The Persian Boy – Mary Renault;
- I Should Be Extremely Happy in Your Company – Brian Hall;
- Wolf Hall – Hilary Mantel;
- An Imaginary Life – David Malouf;
- Cold Mountain – Charles Frazier;
- Ahab’s Wife – Sena Jeter Naslund.
- Her parents were Danish;
- She has three alpaca as pets;
- She was influenced in her writings by Jane Austen;
- Her favorite library is Fullers Bookshop from Hobart – Tasmania
Quotes by Geraldine Brooks:
A book is more than the sum of its materials. It is an artifact of the human mind and hand.
For to know a man’s library is, in some measure, to know his mind
© picnicontheshelf, January 11, 2018